What to do if Your Instagram is Hacked
With so many accounts and so much personal data, Instagram accounts are excellent targets for hackers. If you are unable to log into your account or notice random photos posted on your account, you might be a victim of hacking. Click here to find out how to tell if your Instagram account is hacked.
If you suspect that your Instagram account has been hacked, here are the next steps you should take:
1. Change Your Instagram Password
The first step you should take when you suspect that any account is hacked is to change your password.
If you are able to log into your Instagram account, you can click on the "Edit Profile" button in the top right and then click on the "Change Password" tab on the left side of the screen.
If you are unable to log into your account, you can click the "Forgot?" message on the login screen and Instagram will send you an email with instructions on how to reset your password.
Password recommendations from Instagram:
- Must be at least characters long. Although longer is better.
- Use a combination of letters, numbers, and punctuation marks
- Your password should be different than any other one you use online.
- Change your password regularly.
2. Review Recent Activity
If you take a look at your account and see activity that you didn't do, you should delete it. This includes any posts and comments that you didn't post.
To delete a picture, go to the individual picture and click on the three dots in the upper right hand corner. This will bring up a menu and allow you to delete the picture.
To delete any comments, click on the comment button on the picture where your unwanted comment appears. Tap on the comment and click the trash can in the top right hand corner.
3. Remove Access for Third-Party Apps
The hackers might have added suspicious third-party apps to your Instagram account that need to be removed.
To do this, click on Edit Profile and then click on Authorized Applications.
Click the "Revoke Access" button on any applications that seem suspicious.
Prevent Your Instagram Account from Getting Hacked
- Instagram's minimum password requirement is only 6 characters. You should have a longer password and include a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols.
- Don't share your password with anyone. This includes friends and family.
- Log off from public devices. Always be sure to click the log off button if you are using Instagram on a device that isn't your own.
- Instagram security tips
- Report a hacked account to Instagram
- More tips if you get your Instagram hacked